Sacred Heart School has undergone many changes in the past 21 months from staffing, to curriculum, to staff development. Using the 2015 WASC Review as a guide, our faculty has moved ahead as positively and relentlessly as possible given the time factors and financial constraints.
We have reflected, built and regrouped as follows:
- We currently have 22 paid positions (12 teachers, 5 admin/office, 5 classified) which does not include cafeteria or thrift shop employees.
- Staff development focus has been on math, writing, and technology .This focus will continue for the rest of the school year according to our WASC Review.
- All teaching staff attended 4 days of Ethics Camp hosted by the Stockton Diocese this summer.
- Teacher assessments were documented and recorded through the Ren Web database
Various fundraising events, such as: Auction, Crab Feed, Golf Tournament, Festival, Jog-a-thon, etc. have been crucial to our school’s ability to move forward. Donations from the McElligott Foundation, Mary Stuart Rogers Foundation and anonymous donations have made a significant impact on what we are doing and where we are going in the education of our students. Fundraising events and financial support this past year has allowed us to:
- Reopen the computer lab with 34 new computers, update software, purchase class sets of headphones and provide technology support that will benefit all students
- Provide 2 Chromebook carts with 64 stations for sixth, seventh and eighth grade classroom usage
- Purchase site licenses for increased technology support in math, science and reading for students
An extensive Financial Operations Review of the school has been done by the Principal, the Bookkeeper, Finance Committee and an Auditor recommended by the Diocese. To date:
- Finances are being monitored daily, weekly, monthly
- Tuition and scholarship postings are offered and reviewed in a timely manner
- Parent hours are being logged and monitored every trimester
- Enrollment on new registration system is progressing
Participation in Diocesan and Stanislaus County Office of Education (SCOE) activities, as well as parish activities, has been extremely positive for staff and students. This year, we will nominate employees in the following areas:
- SCOE Employee Making a Difference
- SCOE Every Student Succeeding
- Rotary Teacher of the Year
- Rotary Students of the Month
- DeGroot Leadership Awards
Students are also recognized for participation in numerous areas such as:
- Written essays
- Reading (Accelerated Reader)
- Math (National Math League)
- Science (Science Olympiad)
- CYO activities
We will continue to thrive in academics, faith and family activities. We have much more to do but it is a “WE” plea that needs to be heard and felt by our entire school community. I am an instrument of your school, but I cannot move this mountain without your hands and hearts! Please make a commitment to our future leaders and become an active member in our school!
God bless you and yours,
Ms. Linda Murphy-Lopes
Assistant Principal, Sarah Michelena
Sacred Heart School truly is an amazing place, and my family and I thank you for opening your hearts to us.
My husband, Joe, and I have been parishioners of Sacred Heart for the past 14 years. We moved to Turlock shortly after we were married and have rooted ourselves in this community.
I started my professional career in education in the 2000-2001 school year in Patterson. After teaching in Patterson for 11 years, I moved into the world of school administration where I became an Assistant Principal both in Patterson and later in Turlock. I continued to grow in my career in the small, loving community of Denair, where I was the Principal of Denair Elementary Charter Academy.
In 2013, Joe and I had the opportunity to build our family through an adoption process and we were blessed with two lovely baby girls. Our daughters, Emily and Elizabeth, are not twins but they will tell you they are! While this was an amazing experience, my girls were growing very fast and I was given the opportunity to stay at home with them for a while. This time frame allowed us to grow, bond and have a wonderful time together!
In December of 2016 we were blessed with a bouncing baby boy Michael or Mikey as we lovingly call him. He is a happy, funny little guy…but God had more planned for us. In March we were asked to foster a baby girl and she has added another ray of sunshine to our family. Emily and Elizabeth are now attending Sacred Heart Preschool and will certainly attend Sacred Heart School for Kindergarten next year!
I will be serving as your Assistant Principal on a part time basis this year, but please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org any time as I check my inbox daily. It is a pleasure to work with such a dedicated staff and it has been my desire to work for Mrs. Murphy-Lopes for many years. She is a leader with unparallelled integrity and evokes a passion for student well-being in her actions.
I again thank you for your warm welcome and send many blessings for a successful school year!